Preparing for Your Procedure
If you are currently scheduling a procedure or if you have a procedure scheduled this information will be helpful in preparing for your procedure.
If you are already scheduled and you are unsure about your admitting time or about where your procedure will be performed, contact our office at 203-863-2900.
If you are diabetic, please call your physician, if you have questions regarding your diet the day before your procedure.
If you are taking any of the following blood thinners discuss with your doctor stopping them
5 Days before your procedure.
- Aspirin, Coumadin, Ticlid, Warfarin, Persantine, Plavix, Aggrenox, Dipyridamole. Please discuss with your doctor before stopping.
- Advil, Aleve, Nupin, Ibuprofen
- Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Gingko, Iron
3 Days before the procedure please stop consuming the following:
- If you are taking any bulking agent, Metamucil, Citrucel, please stop it.
- Avoid food with small seeds, breads with poppy or sesame seed, preserves, berries, kiwi, tomato, any fruit or vegetable with a small seed that cannot be removed prior to eating. No Nuts.
You may take Tylenol.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you notify us if you are allergic to egg, soy, antibiotics, Fentanyl, Valium, Propofol, Demerol or Versed prior to your procedure.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you notify us of any Joint Replacement, Stent or Valve Replacement surgeries you may have had. These surgeries may require antibiotic prophylaxis at the time of your procedure. If you require medication prior to dental work, there is a chance you may require it prior to your GI procedure.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you take your regular medications as prescribed, especially cardiac or blood pressure medications on the day of your procedure. If you are unsure about a certain medication, check with your physician the day before the procedure.
Upon discharge for the hospital facility you will require a driver. By law, patients undergoing anesthesia or intravenous sedation must have an escort drive them home after a procedure. Your procedure cannot be preformed unless this arrangement is made.